Sunday, January 8, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake is a Communist

In the Zizekian fashion I would like to analyze "Skydancers", a show my son watches from the mid 90s. Similar to my analysis of the movies "Ironman" and "Batman Begins" I'd like to examine the stereotypes which are reinforced by mass media entertainment, especially in children's programming.

The first thing I noticed was that the choreographer they hired to improve their dance routine had a Russian accent. So I was trying to make it a learning experience and said "notice how he talks? He has a Russian accent".

So right about the time Xander starts noticing that this guy is Russian the plot reveals that he is some kind of spy for the enemy. So of course I'm annoyed that the Russian guy has to be a bad guy first of all but even further annoyed that: One, not only is he a traitor but he turns out to be an effeminate weirdo driven by pride that just happens to be a ballet dancer.

So now I'm pissed off that they're not only taking shots at Russian, my favorite culture, but at ballet, one of my favorite art forms.

And since I'm ranting and raving about children's programming I might as well talk about why Strawberry Shortcake is a Communist. She and all her pals want to build this big community garden which is all good. The problem is that they want to have it on existing private property.

No, I'm not trying to say the Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak is a nice guy but he does have the deed to the property. I'm all for using eminent domain to turn a defunct, weed-filled parking lot into a park but the Pieman shouldn't have his property taken by this little freckled fascist simply because he's disagreeable.

No comments: